Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Why I Volunteer - Brianna Rodgers

The following was written by Brianna Rodgers, a youth volunteer administrative assistant at the Louisville Area Chapter who loves art and creative writing. She is a junior at J. Graham Brown School in Louisville.

I guess you can say that I have a desire to give and help out in any way I can. From a little girl on up I would always do something that was related to volunteering, no matter if it was lending a hand at a food drive from Dare to Care or becoming a C.I.T (Counselor in Training) at the YMCA I would always help out. The Red Cross and I share similar traits, which are the need to create change and the determination to follow through with our goals and mission.

The fact that I can save at least one person’s life is a blessing in itself, therefore, I'm grateful for this wonderful opportunity to help out with others who share the same goal as me. It is also a goal of mine to strive for change and peace among all nations. Because of this I stay updated on international current events and read about humanitarian law. It's a comfort to know that there are others like me, working together and living up to the Red Cross Mission.

We are living in a world where our technological advances bring us together and amplify our voices across the globe. Youth have historically played a very important role in the Red Cross and we are continuing that tradition. I am really excited to continue the legacy of Youth Volunteers at the Red Cross.

If you are interested in becoming a youth volunteer please e-mail our Youth Coordinator Kristen Lawrence at Kristen.Lawrence@redcross.org.

0 comments: