Monday, April 19, 2010

Red Cross Volunteer Profile- First in a Series!


Hello all! Welcome to our first in a series of Red Cross volunteer profiles during National Volunteer Week (and beyond!). Today we'd like to introduce Tamara Langley, a volunteer at our Ft. Knox office.


What do you do for the Red Cross?

I am the Director of the Helping Hands program at Ft. Knox. Helping Hands is a program for military members and their dependents; we give out baby formula, clothing, household items. In March 2010, we had 111 visits in total, thirty families visited for food. So far in April, we’ve had 60 visits for food.


Why did you decide to volunteer for the Red Cross, and how long you have been a volunteer?

I joined the Red Cross four months ago, and joined because I was bored and was looking for something to do! I moved here from Lakeville, MN, but didn’t have time to volunteer for the Red Cross there.

What is the most interesting aspect of your job duties with the Red Cross?

Meeting a wide variety of people, and I’ve only been on post for a few months, and I’m already helping with a five day a week volunteer position! I just love it though, and would love to volunteer more!

What does it mean to you to be a Red Cross volunteer?

I think being a Red Cross volunteer is the most rewarding thing you can do. I love it. It means that you’re a really selfless person, and you get to help people.

What do you do when you aren’t volunteering for the Red Cross?

I work a part-time job at Coldwell Banker, and I also volunteer as a part of the military Family Readiness Group (FRG), which calls to check on families, connect them to civic resources, and communicate announcements from the commander. My husband is not very high-ranking, so folks are surprised that I have so much time to volunteer!


Thank you Tamara; we're lucky to have you as a volunteer! If you're interested in devoting time to our Helping Hands program or volunteering through our Ft. Knox office, call May Giulitto at (502) 624-2163.

0 comments: