It's not quite fire safety week, but a weekend fire in Louisville resulting in two deaths is a grim reminder of the importance of practicing fire safety every day.
Research conducted by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) shows that nearly 3,000 people in the U.S. die every year in home fires. From 2003-2006 two-thirds of home fire deaths occurred in homes with no smoke alarms. Keep yourself and your family safe using the following tips:
- Install a smoke alarm on every floor of your home and in each bedroom or sleeping area
- Test smoke alarms once month by pressing the "test" button
- Replace batteries once a year
- Create an emergency escape plan
- Know two ways to exit every room in your home/apartment