Wednesday, January 19, 2011

First time blood donor


You know that feeling you get when you've done something good? It's like nothing anyone says or does can set you off in the wrong way, not quite walking on air, but there is that added jump and maybe even the hint of a smile for the rest of the day. That is exactly how I felt today after I donated blood for the first time.

Having been at the Red Cross for over a year now, my blood donation was long overdue, but that didn't make me any less nervous. Luckily, the greeter, canteen worker, and ... blood collector? collections assistant? resident vampire? I'll have to ask for a title next time. They all made me feel at ease with their smiles and friendly dispositions. The warm bowl of chili they served also helped.

After filling out the paperwork and doing a short questionnaire, I was ready to roll up my sleeves. I've heard people tell stories about getting stuck a few times before they find a good vein, so I braced myself for the worst. I barely felt the poke when it was inserted. Actually, the worst part was when she removed the tape holding down the tube. It took my tiny veins a while to fill up the bag, but eventually I had donated my first pint of blood.

It made me feel even better when I learned that there is currently a blood shortage due to blood drive cancellations caused by winter storms across the U.S. If you would like to add a little hop to your step by donating blood, call 1-800-RED-CROSS or visit www.redcrossblood.org to schedule an appointment.

0 comments: