Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Brrrrrrrrr, it’s cold out there!

In case you haven’t noticed, it’s a bit cold outside, and it’s only going to get colder. During winter months, the Red Cross sees an increase in home fires due to the use of space heaters, furnaces and fireplaces. Of course, the Red Cross doesn’t want you to freeze, but we do encourage that you keep a few things in mind while you’re trying to stay warm.

Follow the tips below to help keep everyone out of the cold.

• If you must use a space heater, keep it on a hard, flat surface at least three feet away from flammable objects.

• NEVER use a stove or oven to heat your home.

• NEVER leave portable heaters, wood burning stoves or fireplaces unattended, and turn them off before you go to bed.

For more tips on dealing with cold weather and tips on lowering your heating bill, go to

And just in case the fireplace doesn’t cut it, don’t forget the amazing-ness also known as fuzzy socks ;)


Brenda said...

Anna, Call Brownie Jones in Murray. He has your article, but got the email wrong. Or email me at